Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

10/10

Thursday was Taiwan's Independence Day (October 10th -- 10/10) so Stephen and I were both off work.  We decided to take it easy, for the most part, but I did convince him to come with me and the kids to the Cultural Center in the late afternoon/early evening.  I like them running out their energy in big open places from time to time as opposed to jumping on parents and each other and off furniture, etc. in the living room.  I also like taking pictures of them playing somewhere a bit more interesting/with better light.  I've been taking lots of outdoor photos recently, in part because I really do want to improve my photography skills and in part because I missed a month or so of outdoor photos staying in with David when he was first born.

In the basket of recently rediscovered clothes, I found this white dress handed down from my bosses' daughter.  It's pre-stained but really pretty, so perfect for a day of play.  I had actually tried it on Vivienne once when she was really little and got some good pictures with that classic old fashioned baby feel to them, but then I put it aside until it actually fit.  When I found it last week, I decided we had better try it out or we would miss wearing it entirely.
It's crazy how grown up my baby girl is now!
So, I dressed the kids up, nursed the baby and put him to sleep in the stroller, got myself going, and three hours later we were out the door. (OK, maybe it didn't take quite that long, but that's how it feels most of the time.)  In trying to get everyone ready, I didn't remember to order my coffee from across the street (oh, how I'll miss that place when we leave Taiwan!), so once we made it to the Cultural Center (less than a block away), I settled with the big kids on the wall/bench there and off Stephen went to get my coffee.  (I love that man.)  Vivienne discovered a bad of freeze dried apples straight off, so she started snacking on them.
While Vivienne snacks on dried apples,
Jonathan snacks on his fingers.  Ay-yo!
Annnddd ... by the time Stephen got back (all of five minutes after getting out the door) there were already a few big drops of unforeseen rain, and of course, we hadn't brought the umbrellas.  He opted for going home, but I convinced him to hurry over to the Cultural Center's building where there are a lot of covered outdoor spaces.  First we hung out underneath for a bit outside the art exhibit where Vivienne finished her apples
For not having much hair, this girl has some crazy curls.
and Daddy and Jonathan had a game of tag.
Stephen was nobly trying to help me get some shots with Jonathan smiling,
a notoriously difficult task.  Someday, I'm going to have to learn a thing or
two more about photographing moving targets.
Here's some proof that mommy was there, too.
We  then took the elevator up to the upper courtyard, where several different groups were honing their hip hop skills in front of the large practice mirrors there.  The cacophony that hit our ears as soon as the elevator doors opened almost send my husband Stephen running for the hills (or home, at least), but I convinced him to get out of the elevator and follow me through to the back of the Cultural Center where there was no music blaring.  The rain let up a bit, so on the way, we paused for another game of daddy/Jonathan tag in the big, open courtyard in the middle of the building.
We then went through to the back where the rain held off long enough for some step climbing adventures.

The real "Stairmasters."
Daddy used this opportunity to find a vending machine and stock up on some liquid energy of his own, which he was nice enough to share at the request -- read, instance -- of the little people.
We tell Jonathan "Just a little," so he passed that 
advice along to his sister.  Vivienne isn't too
 skilled at drinking out of cans, though, and
 most of her first sip ended up down the front of her 
dress, so daddy helped her with sip number two.
  Jonathan got to drain the bottom of the can.
And once, the Coke was finished, the real fun began.  Those corridors were made for chases!
To the victor goes the empty Coke can!
Catch me if you can, Jonathan!
By this point the rain had begun again, so we watched it a bit
from the safety of the overhang.
Of course, there's only so long you can stand
around and watch the rain.
Vivienne did occasionally stand still to see and be seen.
Vivienne is studying up on how the big girls play.
I have no idea how I am going to teach this child that the
world does not revolve around her, as my father would say.  Ay-yo.
Although the rain didn't stop, it did let up a bit so we made a run for home.  I then went to the stationary store (by myself) to pick up some mini whiteboards for the Crayola whiteboard crayons and markers we have at home.  While there, I found some cheap, decorative tape.  Jonathan is a bit obsessed with "tape tape" and I am pretty much resigned to living with tape on my walls, doors, chairs, and tables, so coloring, cutting, and taping were a perfect way to end the day.
While Jonathan was actually pretty good at cutting and
sticking, Vivienne didn't actually ever figure out how to
use those scissors.  She sure had fun trying, though.
(Eventually we just gave her stickers.)
Jonathan and mommy both drew suns.  I bet you can tell
whose is whose even without the label.
The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment